This week Gower Street has introduced a new feature to our International Road To Recovery report: Global and Regional Stage 1 Growth Trackers.

Regular readers will already be familiar with the Growth Trackers of our Blueprint To Recovery guidance. We first introduced these trackers for individual international territories as well as US states and Canadian provinces back in May. These donut graphs measure the progress towards each of the 5 identified stages of our Blueprint To Recovery.

The Stage 1 tracker specifically looks at the data for cinemas reporting business to our partners at Comscore Movies. It is vital to track what is happening around the world, not only how many individual cinemas have re-opened, but also what percentage of normal market share those theaters account for.

With more and more cinemas re-opening around the world each week it became clear it was important to look beyond individual countries. We wanted to show how the exhibition industries of different regions of the world are recovering and how that contributes to global numbers. As well as a complete Global view, we have included the three key global markets (Domestic, International without China, and China), and the three major international box office regions (EMEA, Latin America, and Asia Pacific – again shown without the dominant China).

The latest set of regional growth trackers, below (featured on page 5 of this week’s International Road To Recovery report), shows that 65% of global cinemas by market share are now back in operation. This is up from 55% the previous week. More are expected to come online for Warner Bros’ international (and Canadian) launch of Christopher Nolan’s TENET this week.

The outer edge of each donut graph measures normal market share of the theaters currently open (in blue) and progress toward the 80% requirement (orange) to hit the Stage 1 target. As is evident China and Asia Pacific (without China) have both surpassed the 80% by market share re-open across Comscore-reporting markets. The grey is the remaining 20%.

The inner edge measures the actual number of open theaters. Here the blue section is theaters reporting; grey is total number of available theaters in the market.

This demonstrates that in all three international regions, as well as China and globally, the theaters open are those accounting for a greater proportion of normal market share (based on historical data). The Domestic market still, narrowly, sees more smaller (and drive-in) theaters open which account for a lower overall market share. This past weekend Gower Street estimates that 38% of theaters across the entire Domestic market were operating, representing nearly 37% of normal market share. However, this is a strong improvement on the previous weekend when 25% of theaters were open, representing less than 19% of market share.

It is this ability to track regional growth that we wanted to share with our readers so you can easily track weekly changes.

Be sure to sign up for a free trial to our Road To Recovery reports in order to receive this information direct to your inbox each week. These reports also feature market-specific data on 30 global markets, all 50 US states and 12 Canadian provinces.